Monday, November 5, 2007

Chainbiter 9.0

Raced the Chainbiter 9.0 race in Farmington, Conn. on Saturday.

This varied course has lots to offer racers - sand, grass, technical descents, twists and turns, a long gradual climb, and an uphill finish. The fall weather did not disappoint with rain starting to fall just before the start of the Elite women's race.

This was my first race with the elite women so I was not sure what to expect. I had a good call-up and started on the second row. Started well and was caught in a lot of traffic going into the first sand pit. My goal was to try and ride with some other racers. With the wind that afternoon, I knew shelter was important. Ended up yo-yoing with one a couple racers for most of the race.

Until I made a technical mistake which forced me to stop and and get back on course. From then on I spent the last two laps trying to limit my losses.

I finished 22nd - so not too bad. My goal was top 20 but I'll take 22 for a first elite race. Learned more about myself and my strengths and weaknesses on the bike. Also had a chance to try my new "race day" prep. Focused on staying relaxed through-out the day and feeding off the energy of my team mates.

No comments: