Monday, November 5, 2007

Cycle-Smart International

Raced the Cycle-Smart International in Northampton, Mass. on Sunday. This was the second race of the double-header weekend.

Another fast and fun course. Featuring lots of twists and turns, a technical sand pit, a tough run-up, and a flat and fast finish. Got to the race early in the day so I could warm-up with Marc and Steve as they prepared for their race. Worked the pits and then spend the next few hours relaxing, eating and getting into race mode.

This was my second elite race so my nerves were less heightened and I was feeling good. Started on the third row this time and had a decent start. Managed to pass a few girls in the first few corners and avoided the early race pile ups.

Set my eyes on a group of three just ahead of me and worked to chase them down the entire race. I continued to make up ground on the trio but would lose it on the steep run-up and climb.

I loved this race course. The twists, turns and constant accelerations really suited me. I focused on maintaining speed and working extra hard to accelerate out of every obstacle. All the cheering helped as well.

Finished off the day in 17th place. Met my goal of cracking the top 20. Couldn't have done anything more on the day. I learned where I need to spend some time practicing and had a lot of fun.

Excellent weekend down in New England racing.

No comments: